Michael used to be one of the nicest guys you could meet. He had a car, and an arrogance that was mildly appealing. Unfortunately, drugs have gotten the best of him.
Very late Thursday night he followed a tourist walking back to his hotel and snatched his watch off his arm. The watch was a Rolex and very expensive. I have spoken to many tourists and warned them against wearing expensive jewelry, and walking down dark streets alone, late at night.
The Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo is relatively safe, but caution should always be used when walking home by yourself late at night. The same thing applies here as in any other big city:
- Don't wear expensive jewelry, especially at night.
- Constantly check your surroundings when walking late at night. If it seems a little dicey, take a cab. Better safe than sorry.
- Understand that there are people who are up to no good who may be watching you, so don't flash your money around.
- Be careful about who you take back to your hotel. If you meet someone, try and see if anyone else knows him.
- Watch your alcohol in-take!
Lastly, if you see Michael, RUN!
You have been warned!