Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday was such a beautiful day. Tyson, Gerardo and I went out just driving around. Went to the mall so Tyson could exchange a blender. Then decided to go to the flea market that takes place on the Malecon (about 20 minutes west of the Colonial Zone). Gerardo had been telling me about this place for months. He knows that I am always looking for things to write about for the blog. Every weekend he would tell me we should get up at 6:30am to go. That is when the most people and items are there. I like the blog and all, BUT, I'm not getting up at 6:30 on a Sunday morning to trek out to a flea market.

Flea markets here are very down-market. Where in the States everyone -- whatever your station in life -- goes to the flea market in search of a bargain. By the time we got there most people were starting to pack up and leave. There was a ton of garbage. From what I can tell they sell mostly clothes, used and new. But there was also tons of gadgets, bootleg movies, electric razors, and the like. What I would love to see more would have been some art, furniture, etc. I'm told that they do come, BUT, you have to get there real early. Okay, maybe one day. But certainly not one day soon.

After that, we start driving back to home and we stop to look through the fence at the motorcylce race that was taking place on the Malecon. Quite a big crowd there. Dominicans love racing cars, bikes, you name it. As we were there looking at this we then notice across the street is a place selling plants. Tyson just got the cutest apartment and it has a huge deck that is filled with plants and he wants to add to the collection. I even purchased two huge potted palms.

Getting all the plants back was a chore. They couldn't all fit in the car, and my potted palms are over 7 feet. I told Tyson and Gerardo to go ahead, I will call a taxi and get a van. Well, you would've thought that I asked for a private plane. But as I waited for Tyson and Gerardo to come back, I get a phone call from my friend David B., asking if I was still coming by to see Vicki's new apartment and partake of some Sunday grub. The answer was yes, of course, but I had a potted palm problem that needed to be taken care of first. David promptly came over with his SUV and off we went.

Vicki just moved into a beautiful apartment not one block from the Malecon. She is on a high floor with a view of the sea. We ate and enjoyed the breeze coming off the Caribbean. David Lee was there, rested and relaxed. I keep telling David to blog something so everyone will know he is happy and fine. David, how about it?

After chatting and catching up with everyone, we then made it on home, where I proceeded to take a nap. Only to be awakened by some fierce thunder and rain. The only thing that could've made this day better would have been if I were at the 50th annual Puerto Rican Day Parade in NYC. Oh, the memories from parades past!

What a Sunday. Just chilling and hanging out with good people. It doesn't get any better than that. Let's hope the rest of the week can live up to this great Sunday.

And how was your weekend?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Carribean is a sea, not an ocean, right ?

Santo Domingo Colonial Zone Apts said...

You are correct. I will change it now.

Anonymous said...

picky picky picky

Anonymous said...

Anthony why even respond. Just keep doing your thing. Most reasonable people understand it was a error.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Anthony...and congrats to Ms. Vicki!!