Friday, August 28, 2009

T.G.I.F.

Really beautiful day. Sun is shining so it is hot, but not really humid. Tomorrow I am heading off to Barahona/Pedernales to really explore the southwest more. I hope to have some photos and some thoughts on the area to post when I return.
This past Tuesday was the 17th annual Modelo Republica Dominicana 2009. It was held in the grand salon at the Jaragua Hotel. I told you that pageants are huge here. The winner, Oswald Gonzalez, will compete at the Mr. Universe Model in China in 2010.
Donna Summer is coming to the island to play at the amphitheater in Altos de Chavon. In the last year we have seen R.E.O. Speedwagon, K.C. & the Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor, Blondie and now Donna Summer. Okay, so it may not be Madonna, but you have to take what you can get. Honestly, Madonna would sell out here at whatever price, so I don't know why she doesn't bring here tour here. I'm sure it is about the money.The Dominican Republic is a heavy favorite to win the basketball championships at the annual FIBA Americas Championship. This year it is being held in Puerto Rico. The D.R. has several of their NBA stars on the team this year. My favorite is Al Horford.
Ernest Montgomery, of LeeStudiosNYC, has started a blog. He has made a committment to shoot photos every week. This blog will document that journey of getting his book of photographs of Dominican men published.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pic of Donna Summer must be at least 35 years old! And about
Dominican Republic winning the FIBA
Americas Championship....dream on!
From Puerto Rico,
Rafael

Anonymous said...

I am not impressed..With all the good looking male models in the Dominican Republic, I'm sure they could have done better than Oswald Gonzalez...Give... me... a break.

Anonymous said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

Are you not aware of Donna Summer's anti gay history? After being made a star by us, she became a born again Christian and later realized it was cutting sales and suddenly became gay friendly again. But while she was Jesus' bride she said some very nasty things from the stage. She does not warrant our support.