Wednesday, July 27, 2005

H.R.H. Princess Diandra

Princess Diandra, who is a very well-known drag personality in NYC, was here in Santo Domingo recently. Because he was not in drag I didn't recognize him, though I had seen him in Santo Domingo several times. We would make eye contact, or nod at each other, but that was the extent of our contact.

One night, while I was in the Phoenix bar, Diandra approached me and asked if he could have a word with me. He told me about a few conversations in the past that he tried to have with me and I had been shady. I was taken aback because I thought I was always my charming, effervescent self. Those who know me know that I "try" not to be shady, unless provoked. Diandra told me that she thought it might be because she was flirting with my papi and didn't know he was with me. First, I never get upset about those things. I believe that you can't control other people and who they have sex with. Men are going to do what they are going to do. PERIOD! I know I'm going to do what I want.

I apologized and told him there must have been some misunderstanding, I don't intentionally go out of my way to act that way.

I then had to look back at my behavior. I had to admit, I'm from NYC, where shade was born many, many years ago. I do have a certain armor I wear to protect myeslf from some of the relentlessly shady queens that come and visit. The armor has been hardened after living in NYC. So, if I speak and extend myself and feel like you are responding as if you smell shit, well, the shadiness factor can come out and I can be, you know, shady. Also, being a human being trying to make a dollar out of some pesos, can kinda harden your heart.

If there is anyone who feels that I have been unnecessarily shady, I apologize. For those that deserved it, I'm sorry I wasn't shadier. Okay, that was uncalled for, but it is the truth.

The moral of the story is that Diandra approached me, we had a great conversation, found out we had a lot in common and I knew her work well. We knocked a few back and had a great time the rest of the evening. Hopefull we will be able to work together in the future. If he had not talked to me he would be left with the impression that I didn't like him, which is not true at all.

So, the next time you are in NYC, please stop by Lucky Cheng's restaurant and tell H.R.H. Princess Diandra that Monaga in Santo Domingo really likes and respect her. And don't forget to enjoy the show (and food!).

photo courtesy of Johnny Dynell

No comments: